Meeting in room 43 of Community UU will NOT be available again until Aug 14.
Jul 31 and Aug 7 will be ZOOM ONLY.
Join the BoWZ-Westchester Sangha on Saturday mornings:
(Times: US Eastern)
9:45-10:00 -- Informal conversation
10:00 -- Opening Dedication, Readings, Zazen, Kinhin, Zazen
11:00 -- Sutra Service
11:15 -- Dharma Talk and Conversation
12:00 -- Closing Readings
Audio Only: telephone 646-876-9923 & Enter Meeting ID: 289 850 7899
Sat Jul 31: Practice to be led by Seth Zuiho Segall
Zoom with Boundless Way Zen Temple in Worcester, MA at any of these times:
Tue, Thu, Sun, 7-8pm
Zoom link: CLICK HERE
For Summer Week 6:
Mon Jul 26 - Sun Aug 1
Readingfor Sat Jul 31
- Barry Magid, Ending the Pursuit of Happiness, "Psychological versus Spiritual Insight," pp. 49-52.
Week 6 Raven Tale
- "Last Will and Testament"
Week 6 SutrasDedication
- For odd-numbered days, begins with Gatha of Atonement (AUDIO)
- For even-numbered days, begins with The Three Refuges (AUDIO)
- The Five Remembrances, p. 4
- Hakuin's Great Doubt, p. 19
- Guidance in Zazen, p. 20
- The Way of Tenderness, p. 40
- The Four Bodhisattva Vows, p. 42
Next Boundless Way SesshinThu Jul 29, 7:00pm through Mon Aug 2, 12:30pm
Online Practice periods include Zazen (seated meditation), kinhin (walking meditation), dharma talk, dharma dialogue, and dokusan (interview with teacher).
See the flyer HERE.
Register for the Sesshin HERE.
Sutra BookFor printing (double-columned pages):CLICK HERE. (Page references are to this double-column version.)
For reading on your computer screen (single-column pages):CLICK HERE.
Chant Along with these Audio Files: CLICK HERE.
Home practice ideally includes Zazen, study of zen text (or listening to a recording or podcast of a dharma talk), and chanting/reciting some of Zen's central texts.
- Sitting supplies: A zabuton (mat) and either a zafu (round cushion, usually of kapok or buckwheat hulls), or a seiza bench (kneeling bench); or a chair that is your meditation chair
- A dedicated space: A corner of a room that is used only for Zen practice, where your sitting supplies and a small altar reside
- An altar: a small table with a Buddha statue and maybe an incense holder, candle, or sacred items.
- Light a candle, stick of incense, or both, on your altar.
- Standing in front of altar, facing it, make three bows (prostrations or standing bows) to Buddha.
- Recite "Gatha of Atonement" (odd-numbered dates) or "The Three Refuges" (even-numbered dates);
- Recite Dedication and Opening Verse (see Sutra Book)
- Zazen (25 mins)
- Recite the Sutra Service Readings for the week (see Sutra Book)
- Dharma Study time: reading a dharma book or listening to a dharma talk recording (15-30 mins). (Check out "A Quarterly Study Plan" on the Reading/Videos page.)
- Recite Closing Verses (see Sutra Book)
Additional Practice OpportunitiesWhite Plains Zen Center:
Tue evenings: 7:30 PM
Hudson River Zen Center:
Insight Meditation with Nina Nagy
Mon evenings: 6 PM