(Times: US Eastern)
9:45-10:00 -- Informal conversation
10:00 -- Opening Dedication, Readings, Zazen, Kinhin, Zazen
11:00 -- Sutra Service
11:15 -- Dharma Talk and Conversation
12:00 -- Closing Readings
Audio Only: telephone 646-876-9923 & Enter Meeting ID: 289 850 7899
Sat Oct 31: Practice to be led by Meredith Garmon
This Week's ReadingFor Sat Oct 31:
- Taizan Maezumi, Appreciate Your Life: The Essence of Zen Practice, "Clarify the Great Matter," p. 67.
- See Reading Schedule.
Raven TaleFor this week: "Too Soon"
Social ActionSangha member Manny points us toward Buddhist Global Relief, and Buddhist Action to Feed the Hungry Online Gathering. The next event will be on Nov 15. Info HERE.
Suggested Practice this weekFor this week: Lovingkindness. (Check website soon for available audio guided lovingkindness meditation).
Sutras for Autumn Week 6: Oct 26 - Nov 1Opening for Mon Oct 5 - Sun Nov 1 (8th Fourweek since Vernal Equinox): (AUDIO for Even)(AUDIO for Odd)
- Gatha of Atonement (odd-numbered dates), or The Three Refuges (even-numbered dates)
- Menju -- "Face-to-Face Transmission," p. 5
- Eihei Koso Hotsuganmon, p. 18
- Mangala Sutta -- The Highest Blessings, p. 18
- Yongjia's Song of Realizing the Dao, p. 19
- Hope in the Dark, p. 40
- Save All the Beings, p. 42
Sutra BookFor printing (double-columned pages):CLICK HERE. (Page references are to this double-column version.)
For reading on your computer screen (single-column pages):CLICK HERE.
Chant Along with these Audio Files: CLICK HERE.
Home practice ideally includes Zazen, study of zen text (or listening to a recording or podcast of a dharma talk), and chanting/reciting some of Zen's central texts.
- Sitting supplies: A zabuton (mat) and either a zafu (round cushion, usually of kapok or buckwheat hulls), or a seiza bench (kneeling bench); or a chair that is your meditation chair
- A dedicated space: A corner of a room that is used only for Zen practice, where your sitting supplies and a small altar reside
- An altar: a small table with a Buddha statue and maybe an incense holder, candle, or sacred items.
- Light a candle, stick of incense, or both, on your altar.
- Standing in front of altar, facing it, make three bows (prostrations or standing bows) to Buddha.
- Recite "Gatha of Atonement" (odd-numbered dates) or "The Three Refuges" (even-numbered dates);
- Recite Dedication and Opening Verse (see Sutra Book)
- Zazen (25 mins)
- Recite the Sutra Service Readings for the week (see Sutra Book)
- Dharma Study time: reading a dharma book or listening to a dharma talk recording (15-30 mins). (Check out "A Quarterly Study Plan" on the Reading/Videos page.)
- Recite Closing Verses (see Sutra Book)
Additional Practice OpportunitiesMon-Fri mornings, 7 AM -8 AM -- join Meredith and the Worcester Boundless Way Zen teachers for morning practice.
Or zoom in for evening practice on Sun, Tue, and Thu evenings, 7 PM - 8 PM
Zoom link: CLICK HERE
White Plains Zen Center:
Tue evenings: 7:30 PM
Hudson River Zen Center:
Insight Meditation with Nina Nagy
Mon evenings: 6 PM