1. BOS67. The Wisdom in the Flower Garland Sutra
2. BCR92/BOS1. The World-Honored One Takes His Seat
3. BOS4. The World-Honored One Points to the Ground
4. GG32/BCR65. A NonBuddhist Questions Buddha
5. GG42. A Woman Comes Out of Samadhi
6. GG6. Buddha Holds Up a Flower
7. GG22. Kashyapa's Flagpole
8. BCR84/BOS48. Vimalakirti's "The Gate to the One and Only"
9. BCR97/BOS58. The Diamond Sutra's "The Transgression is Wiped Out"
10. BOS45. Four Phrases from the Sutra of Perfect Enlightenment
11. BCR94/BOS88. The Surangama Sutra and "Unseeing"
12. BCR78. Bodhisattvas in the Bath
13. BOS3. The Indian King Invites the Patriarch
14. BCR1/BOS2. Emperor Wu Asks Bodhidharma
15. GG41. Bodhidharma Puts the Mind to Rest
16. BCR67. Great Master Fu Concludes His Lecture on the Sutra
Huineng, Qingyuan, National Teacher Nanyang
17. GG23. Think Neither Good Nor Evil
18. GG29. Not the Wind, Not the Flag
19. BOS5. Qingyuan's "Price of Rice"
20. GG17. National Teacher's Three Calls
21. BCR99. Nanyang and the Ten-Bodied Herdsman
22. BOS42. Nanyang and the Water Jug
23. BCR18/BOS85. Emperor Daizong Asks About the Style of the Pagoda
24. GG30. Mind is Buddha
25. GG33. No Mind, No Buddha
26. BCR53. Baizhang and a Wild Duck
27. BCR73/BOS6. Mazu and the Hundred Negations
28. BCR3/BOS36. Mazu's "Sun-faced Buddha, Moon-faced Buddha"
29. BOS8. Baizhang and the Fox" (first part)
30. GG2. Baizhang and the Fox (extended)
31. BCR26. Baizhang Sits on the Great Sublime Peak
32. BCR70. Guishan's "I Would Ask You to Say It"
33. BCR71. Wufeng's "Shut Up"
34. BCR72. Yunyan's "Can You?"
Panshan, Danxia, Jinniu, Layman Pang, Zhongyi, Wujiu
35. BCR37. Panshan's "Three Worlds, No Dharma"
36. BCR76. Danxia's "Have You Had Your Dinner"
37. BCR74. Jinniu and the Rice Pail
38. BCR42. Layman Pang's "Beautiful Snowflakes"
39. BOS72. Zhongyi's 'Monkey
40. BCR75. Wujiu's Unfair Blows
41. BCR63/GG14/BOS9. Nanquan Kills the Cat (part 1)
42. BCR64/GG14/BOS9. Nanquan Kills the Cat (part 2)
43. GG19. Ordinary Mind is the Way
44. GG27. What the Holy Ones Have Not Preached (Briefer)
45. BCR28. What the Holy Ones Have Not Preached (Extended)
46. GG34. Knowing Is Not the Way
47. BCR31/BOS16. Mayu Comes to Zhangjing
48. BCR40/BOS91. Nanquan's "This Flower"
49. BCR69. Nanquan Draws a Circle
50. BOS69. Nanquan's "Cats and Oxen"
51. BOS93. Shizu Does Not Understand
52. BOS23. Luzu Faces the Wall
Yanguan, Yaoshan, Longtan, Daowu
53. BCR91/BOS25. Yanguan and the Rhinoceros Fan
54. BCR81. Yaoshan Shoots the Great Deer
55. BOS7. Yaoshan Takes the High Seat
56. GG28. Longtan's Name Echoed Long
57. BCR55. Daowu's "I Won't Say"
58. BCR89/BOS54. Yunyan's "The Whole Body is Hand and Eye"
59. BOS21. Yunyan Sweeps the Ground
60. BOS83. Daowu's Nursing the Ill
61. BCR11/BOS53. Huangbo's "Partakers of Brewers Grain"
62. GG40. Kicking Over the Water Jug
63. BCR4. Deshan Visits Guishan
64. BCR24/BOS60. Liu Tiemo, the Old Cow
65. BOS15. Yangshan Thrusts His Hoe Into the Ground
66. BOS37. Guishan's Karmic Consciousness
67. BOS87. Shushan: With or Without
68. GG1. Zhaozhou's Dog (Mu)
69. BOS18. Zhaozhou's Dog (extended version)
70. GG7/ BOS39. Zhoazhou's "Wash Your Bowls"
71. GG11. Zhoazhou Examines the Hermits
72. GG31/BOS10. Zhoazhou Sees Through an Old Woman
73. GG37/BOS47. The Oak Tree in the Garden
74. BCR2. Zhaozhou's "The Real Way Is Not Difficult"
75. BCR9. Zhaozhou's Four Gates
76. BCR30. Zhaozhou's "A Big Radish"
77. BCR41/BOS63. Zhaozhou and the Great Death
78. BCR45. Zhaozhou's Seven-Pound Hempen Shirt
79. BCR52. Zhaozhou's Stone Bridge
80. BCR57. Zhaozhou's "I Alone am Holy Throughout Heaven and Earth"
81. BCR58. Zhaozhou's "No Justification"
82. BCR59. Zhaozhou's "Why Not Quote to the End"
83. BCR80. Zhaozhou's "A New-Born Baby"
84. BCR96. Zhaozhou's Three Turning Words
85. BOS57. Zhaozhou's "Carry It with You"
86. BCR10. Muzhou's "Empty-Headed Fool"
87. BCR36. Changsha Went for a Walk
88. GG46/BOS79. Stepping from a 100-foot Pole
89. BOS22. Yantou's Bow
90. GG13/BOS55. Deshan Carries His Bowls
91. BOS14. Attendant Huo Offers Tea
92. BOS35. Luopu's Obeisance
93. BOS68. Jiashan Brandishes the Sword
94. GG25/BOS90. Yangshan's Dream Sermon
95. BCR34. Yangshan's "Never Been to the Mountains"
96. BCR68. Yangshan Asks Sansheng's Name
97. BOS26. Yangshan Points to Snow
98. BOS32. Yangshan's Mind and Objective World
99. BOS62. Jingzhao Mihu's "Enlightenment"
100. BOS77. Yangshan: As Befits His Portion
101. BCR43. Dongshan's "No Cold or Heat"
102. BOS49. Dongshan and the Memorial Service
103. BOS56. Dongshan, Sengmi, and the Rabbit
104. BOS89. Dongshan's "Place of No Grass"
105. BOS98. Dongshan's "Intimate With It"
106. BOS94. Dongshan Unwell
107. BCR19/BOS84. Jinhua's One Finger (Briefer)
108. GG3. Jinhua's One Finger (Extended)
109. BOS86. Linji's Great Enlightenment
110. BCR32. Elder Ding Stands Still
111. BOS13. Linji's "Blind Donkey"
112. BOS38. Linji's "True Person"
113. BOS95. Linji Draws a Line
Touzi, Wu Cho, Xuefeng, Yantou
114. BCR79. Touzi and "Every Voice Is the Buddha's Voice"
115. BCR35. Manjusri's "Threes and Threes"
116. BCR5. Xuefeng's "A Grain of Rice"
117. BCR22/BOS24. Xuefeng's Poinsonous Snake
118. BCR49/BOS33. Sansheng's "The Golden Carp Out of the Net"
119. BCR51/BOS50. Xuefeng's "What Is This?"
120. BOS75. Ruiyan and the Everlasting Truth
121. BOS43. Luoshan's "Apearing and Disappearing"
122. BCR66. Yantou Laughed Loudly
Xiangyan, Xinghua, Ruiyan, Yuezhou, Tongfeng, Luopu, Qinglin, Longya, Daguang
123. GG5. Xiangyan's Man Up a Tree
124. BOS97. Emperor Tongguang's Helmet Hood
125. GG12. Ruiyan Calls Himself "Master"
primary text only 126. BCR85. Tongfeng Roars Like a Tiger
127. BOS41. Luopu at His Death Bed
128. BOS59. Qinglin's "Deadly Snake"
primary text only 129. BCR20/BOS80. Longya Asks Cuiwei and Linji
primary text only 130. BCR93. Daguang's "You Fox-Devil"
primary text only 131. BCR88. Xuansha's Person of Three Disabilities
132. BOS81. Xuansha Reaches the Province
primary text only 133. GG10. Chingshui the Poor
134. BOS52. Caoshan's "Dharma Body"
135. BOS73. Caoshan's Filial Fulfillment
Qingshan, Jiufeng, Changqing, Baofu
primary text only 136. BCR56. Qingshan and One Arrow Piercing the Three Barriers
137. BOS96. Jiufeng Does Not Acknowledge
138. BOS 66. Jiufeng's "Head and Tail"
primary text only 139. BCR 23. Baofu Points to Myohocho
primary text only 140. BCR 95. Changqing and Baofu Discuss Buddha's Words
141. BOS 40. Yunmen's "White and Black"
142. GG48/BOS61. Yuezhou Qianfeng's One Way
STILL TO COME
143. GG15. Dongshan Shouchu's Sixty Blows
144. GG16. Sound of Bell and 7-Panel Robe
145. GG21. Yunmen's Kanshiketsu
146. GG39. Yunmen and a Mistake in Speech.
147. BCR6. Yunmen's "Everyday is a Good Day"
148. BCR14. Yunmen's "Preaching Facing Openness"
149. BCR15. Yunmen's "No Preaching on Oneness"
150. BCR27. Yunmen's "Golden Breeze"
151. BCR39. Yunmen's "Kayakuran"
152. BCR47. Yunmen's "Beyond the Six"
153. BCR50/BOS99. Yunmen's "Particle After Particle Samadhi"
154. BCR54. Yunmen Stretches Out His Hand
155. BCR60. Yunmen's Staff Becomes a Dragon
156. BCR62/BOS92. Yunmen's "One Treasure"
This index lists the koans of the three central collections used in Harada-Yasutani lineages of Zen:
- GG: Gateless Gate (a.k.a. Wumenguan, Wu-men-kuan, Mumonkan) - 48 cases
- BCR: Blue Cliff Record (a.k.a. Biyan Lu, Pi-yen Lu, Hekiganroku) - 100 cases
- BOS: Book of Serenity (a.k.a. Book of Equanimity, Congrong Lu, Ts'ung-jung Lu, Shoyoroku) - 100 cases
*Counting duplications is not always straightforward. This index treats these pairs in a single post, despite minor differences:
- BCR1 and BOS2: different endings
- BCR84 and BOS48: different endings
- BCR91 and BOS25: different endings.
- GG46 and BOS79: The BOS version is longer; the GG is an excerpt, prefaced by phrasing the point as a question.
- GG2 and BOS8: "Baizhang and the Fox." GG2 is the long version of which BOS8 is the first part.
- BCR28 and GG27: "What the Holy Ones Have Not Preached." BCR28 is the long version of which GG27 is the first (and modified) part.
- BOS18 and GG1: "Zhaozhou's Dog." BOS18 is the long version of which GG1 is the first part.
- BOS30 and BCR29: "Dasui's 'It will be gone with the other.'" BOS30 is the long version of which BCR29 is the first part.
- GG3 and BCR19/BOS84: "Jinhua's One Finger." GG3 is the long version of which BCR19/BOS84 is the first part.
- BCR63 and BCR64: are combined into one koan at both GG14 and BOS9.
Aitken = Robert Aitken. The Gateless Barrier.
Cleary = Thomas Cleary. No Barrier: Unlocking the Zen Koan.
Low = Albert Low. The World: A Gateway.
Sekida = Katsuki Sekida. Two Zen Classics.
Senzaki = Nyogen Senzaki. Eloquent Silence.
Shibayama = Zenkei Shibayama. The Gateless Barrier.
Wumen = fr. Yamada, The Gateless Gate.
Yamada = Koun Yamada. The Gateless Gate.
Verses from Various Chinese Masters: fr. Thomas Cleary, No Barrier: Unlocking the Zen Koan.
SOURCES, BLUE CLIFF RECORD
Hakuin = fr. Thomas Cleary, trans, Secrets of the Blue Cliff Record.
Rothenberg = David Rothenberg. Blue Cliff Record: Zen Echoes.
Sekida = Katsuki Sekida. Two Zen Classics.
Tenkei = fr. Thomas Cleary, trans, Secrets of the Blue Cliff Record.
Xuedou = fr. Thomas & J.C. Cleary, trans, The Blue Cliff Record. Or fr. Sekida, Two Zen Classics.
Yamada = Koun Yamada. Teisho on Hekiganroku (unpublished. Teisho)
Yuanwu = fr. Thomas & J.C. Cleary, trans, The Blue Cliff Record. Or fr. Sekida, Two Zen Classics.
SOURCES, BOOK OF SERENITY
Hongzhi = fr. Thomas Cleary, trans, Book of Serenity. Or fr. Wick, Book of Equanimity.
Wansong = fr. Thomas Cleary, trans, Book of Serenity. Or fr. Wick, Book of Equanimity.
Wick = Gerry Shishin Wick. The Book of Equanimity.
Yamada = Koun Yamada. Teisho on Shoyoroku. (unpublished. Teisho)
Sturmer = Richard von Sturmer, Book of Equanimity Verses (Puriri Press)
Verses from Various Students of Reb Tenshin Anderson, Koan Class Tribute.