1. BOS67. The Wisdom in the Flower Garland Sutra
2. BCR92/BOS1. The World-Honored One Takes His Seat
3. GG32/BCR65. A NonBuddhist Questions Buddha
4. BCR94/BOS88. The Surangama Sutra and "Unseeing"
5. BOS45. Four Phrases from the Sutra of Perfect Enlightenment
6. GG42. A Woman Comes Out of Samadhi
7. BCR97/BOS58. The Diamond Sutra's "The Transgression is Wiped Out"
8. BOS4. The World-Honored One Points to the Ground
9. GG6. Buddha Holds Up a Flower
10. GG22. Kashyapa's Flagpole
11. BCR84/BOS48. Vimalakirti's "The Gate to the One and Only"
12. BCR78. Bodhisattvas in the Bath
13. BOS3. The Indian King Invites the Patriarch
14. BCR1/BOS2. Emperor Wu Asks Bodhidharma
15. GG41. Bodhidharma Puts the Mind to Rest
16. BCR67. Great Master Fu Concludes His Lecture on the Sutra
Huineng, Qingyuan, National Teacher Nanyang
17. GG23. Think Neither Good Nor Evil
18. GG29. Not the Wind, Not the Flag
19. BOS5. Qingyuan's "Price of Rice"
20. GG17. National Teacher's Three Calls
21. BCR99. Nanyang and the Ten-Bodied Herdsman
22. BOS42. Nanyang and the Water Jug
23. BCR18/BOS85. Emperor Daizong Asks About the Style of the Pagoda
24. GG30. Mind is Buddha
25. GG33. No Mind, No Buddha
26. BCR53. Baizhang and a Wild Duck
27. BCR73/BOS6. Mazu and the Hundred Negations
28. BCR3/BOS36. Mazu's "Sun-faced Buddha, Moon-faced Buddha"
29. BOS8. Baizhang and the Fox" (first part)
30. GG2. Baizhang and the Fox (extended)
31. BCR26. Baizhang Sits on the Great Sublime Peak
32. BCR70. Guishan's "I Would Ask You to Say It"
33. BCR71. Wufeng's "Shut Up"
34. BCR72. Yunyan's "Can You?"
Panshan, Danxia, Jinniu, Layman Pang, Zhongyi, Wujiu
35. BCR37. Panshan's "Three Worlds, No Dharma"
36. BCR76. Danxia's "Have You Had Your Dinner"
37. BCR74. Jinniu and the Rice Pail
38. BCR42. Layman Pang's "Beautiful Snowflakes"
39. BOS72. Zhongyi's 'Monkey
40. BCR75. Wujiu's Unfair Blows
41. GG14/BCR63/BOS9. Nanquan Kills the Cat (part 1)
42. GG14/BCR64/BOS9. Nanquan Kills the Cat (part 2)
43. GG19. Ordinary Mind is the Way
44. GG27. What the Holy Ones Have Not Preached (Briefer)
45. BCR28. What the Holy Ones Have Not Preached (Extended)
46. GG34. Knowing Is Not the Way
47. BCR31/BOS16. Mayu Comes to Zhangjing
48. BCR40/BOS91. Nanquan's "This Flower"
49. BCR69. Nanquan Draws a Circle
50. BOS69. Nanquan's "Cats and Oxen"
51. BOS93. Shizu Does Not Understand
52. BOS23. Luzu Faces the Wall
Yanguan, Yaoshan, Longtan, Daowu
53. BCR91/BOS25. Yanguan and the Rhinoceros Fan
54. BCR81. Yaoshan Shoots the Great Deer
55. BOS7. Yaoshan Takes the High Seat
56. GG28. Longtan's Name Echoed Long
57. BCR55. Daowu's "I Won't Say"
58. BCR89/BOS54. Yunyan's "The Whole Body is Hand and Eye"
59. BOS21. Yunyan Sweeps the Ground
60. BOS83. Daowu's Nursing the Ill
61. BCR11/BOS53. Huangbo's "Partakers of Brewers Grain"
62. GG40. Kicking Over the Water Jug
63. BCR4. Deshan Visits Guishan
64. BCR24/BOS60. Liu Tiemo, the Old Cow
65. BOS15. Yangshan Thrusts His Hoe Into the Ground
66. BOS37. Guishan's Karmic Consciousness
67. BOS87. Shushan: With or Without
primary text only 68. GG1. Zhaozhou's Dog (Mu)
primary text only 69. BOS18. Zhaozhou's Dog (extended version)
primary text only 70. GG7/ BOS39. Zhoazhou's "Wash Your Bowls"
71. GG11. Zhoazhou Examines the Hermits
72. GG31/BOS10. Zhoazhou Sees Through an Old Woman
73. GG37/BOS47. The Oak Tree in the Garden
74. BCR2. Zhaozhou's "The Real Way Is Not Difficult"
75. BCR9. Zhaozhou's Four Gates
76. BCR30. Zhaozhou's "A Big Radish"
77. BCR41, BOS #63. Zhaozhou and the Great Death
78. BCR45. Zhaozhou's Seven-Pound Hempen Shirt
79. BCR52. Zhaozhou's Stone Bridge
80. BCR57. Zhaozhou's "I Alone am Holy Throughout Heaven and Earth"
81. BCR58. Zhaozhou's "No Justification"
82. BCR59. Zhaozhou's "Why Not Quote to the End"
83. BCR80. Zhaozhou's "A New-Born Baby"
84. BCR96. Zhaozhou's Three Turning Words
85. BOS57. Zhaozhou's "Carry It with You"
86. BCR10. Muzhou's "Empty-Headed Fool"
87. BCR36. Changsha Went for a Walk
88. BOS79. Changsha Takes a Step
89. BOS22. Yantou's Bow
90. GG13/BOS55. Deshan Carries His Bowls
91. BOS14. Attendant Huo Offers Tea
92. BOS35. Luopu's Obeisance
93. BOS68. Jiashan Brandishes the Sword
94. GG25/BOS90. Yangshan's Dream Sermon
95. BCR34. Yangshan's "Never Been to the Mountains"
96. BCR68. Yangshan Asks Sansheng's Name
97. BOS26. Yangshan Points to Snow
98. BOS32. Yangshan's Mind and Objective World
99. BOS62. Jingzhao Mihu's "Enlightenment"
100. BOS77. Yangshan: As Befits His Portion
101. BCR43. Dongshan's "No Cold or Heat"
102. BOS49. Dongshan and the Memorial Service
103. BOS56. Dongshan, Sengmi, and the Rabbit
104. BOS89. Dongshan's "Place of No Grass"
primary text only 105. BOS98. Dongshan's "Intimate With It"
primary text only 106. BOS94. Dongshan Unwell
primary text only 107. BCR19/BOS84. Judi's One Finger (Briefer)
primary text only 108. GG3. Judi's One Finger (Extended)
109. BOS86. Linji's Great Enlightenment
110. BCR32. Elder Ding Stands Still
111. BOS13. Linji's "Blind Donkey"
112. BOS38. Linji's "True Person"
113. BOS95. Linji Draws a Line
Touzi, Wu Cho, Xuefeng, Yantou
primary text only 114. BCR79. Touzi and "Every Voice Is the Buddha's Voice"
primary text only 115. BCR35. Manjusri's "Threes and Threes"
primary text only 116. BCR5. Xuefeng's "A Grain of Rice"
primary text only 117. BCR22/BOS24. Xuefeng's Poinsonous Snake
primary text only 118. BCR49/BOS33. Sansheng's "The Golden Carp Out of the Net"
primary text only 119. BCR51/BOS50. Xuefeng's "What Is This?"
primary text only 120. BCR75. Ruiyan and the Everlasting Truth
primary text only 121. BOS43. Luoshan's "Apearing and Disappearing"
primary text only 122. BCR66. Yantou Laughed Loudly
Xiangyan, Xinghua, Ruiyan, Yuezhou, Tongfeng, Luopu, Qinglin, Longya, Daguang
primary text only 123. GG5. Xiangyan's Man Up a Tree
primary text only 124. BOS97. Emperor Tongguang's Helmet Hood
primary text only 125. GG12. Ruiyan Calls Himself "Master"
primary text only 126. GG48/BOS61. Yuezhou Qianfeng's One Way
primary text only 127. BCR85. Tongfeng Roars Like a Tiger
primary text only 128. BOS41. Luopu at His Death Bed
primary text only 129. BOS59. Qinglin's "Deadly Snake"
primary text only 130. BCR20/BOS80. Longya Asks Cuiwei and Linji
primary text only 131. BCR93. Daguang's "You Fox-Devil"
primary text only 132. BCR88. Xuansha's Person of Three Disabilities
primary text only 133. BOS81. Xuansha Reaches the Province
primary text only 134. GG10. Chingshui the Poor
primary text only 135. BOS52. Caoshan's "Dharma Body"
primary text only 136. BOS73. Caoshan's Filial Fulfillment
Qingshan, Jiufeng, Changqing
primary text only 137. BCR56. Qingshan and One Arrow Piercing the Three Barriers
primary text only 138. BOS96. Jiufeng Does Not Acknowledge
primary text only 139. BOS 66. Jiufeng's "Head and Tail"
This index lists the koans of the three central collections used in Harada-Yasutani lineages of Zen:
- GG: Gateless Gate (a.k.a. Wumenguan, Wu-men-kuan, Mumonkan) - 48 cases
- BCR: Blue Cliff Record (a.k.a. Biyan Lu, Pi-yen Lu, Hekiganroku) - 100 cases
- BOS: Book of Serenity (a.k.a. Book of Equanimity, Congrong Lu, Ts'ung-jung Lu, Shoyoroku) - 100 cases
*Counting duplications is not always straightforward. For example, BCR1 and BOS2 are listed here as one koan, as are BCR84 - BOS48, and BCR91 - BOS25, though they have slightly different endings. BCR63 and BCR64 are two separate koans in the BCR, but are combined into one koan in both GG14 and BOS9. This index counts them as two koans. The following are also treated as two separate koans because one adds substantial material at the end while the other gives only the first part.
- GG2 and BOS8: "Baizhang and the Fox." GG2 is the long version of which BOS8 is the first part.
- BCR28 and GG27: "What the Holy Ones Have Not Preached." BCR28 is the long version of which GG27 is the first (and modified) part.
- BOS18 and GG1: "Zhaozhou's Dog." BOS18 is the long version of which GG1 is the first part.
- BOS30 and BCR29: "Dasui's 'It will be gone with the other.'" BOS30 is the long version of which BCR29 is the first part.
- GG3, BCR19, BOS84: "Judi's One Finger." GG3 is the long version. BCR19 and BOS84 are the first part.
Aitken = Robert Aitken. The Gateless Barrier.
Cleary = Thomas Cleary. No Barrier: Unlocking the Zen Koan.
Low = Albert Low. The World: A Gateway.
Sekida = Katsuki Sekida. Two Zen Classics.
Senzaki = Nyogen Senzaki. Eloquent Silence.
Shibayama = Zenkei Shibayama. The Gateless Barrier.
Wumen = fr. Yamada, The Gateless Gate.
Yamada = Koun Yamada. The Gateless Gate.
Verses from Various Chinese Masters: fr. Thomas Cleary, No Barrier: Unlocking the Zen Koan.
SOURCES, BLUE CLIFF RECORD
Hakuin = fr. Thomas Cleary, trans, Secrets of the Blue Cliff Record.
Rothenberg = David Rothenberg. Blue Cliff Record: Zen Echoes.
Sekida = Katsuki Sekida. Two Zen Classics.
Tenkei = fr. Thomas Cleary, trans, Secrets of the Blue Cliff Record.
Xuedou = fr. Thomas & J.C. Cleary, trans, The Blue Cliff Record. Or fr. Sekida, Two Zen Classics.
Yamada = Koun Yamada. Teisho on Hekiganroku (unpublished. Teisho)
Yuanwu = fr. Thomas & J.C. Cleary, trans, The Blue Cliff Record. Or fr. Sekida, Two Zen Classics.
SOURCES, BOOK OF SERENITY
Hongzhi = fr. Thomas Cleary, trans, Book of Serenity. Or fr. Wick, Book of Equanimity.
Wansong = fr. Thomas Cleary, trans, Book of Serenity. Or fr. Wick, Book of Equanimity.
Wick = Gerry Shishin Wick. The Book of Equanimity.
Yamada = Koun Yamada. Teisho on Shoyoroku. (unpublished. Teisho)
Verses from Various Students of Reb Tenshin Anderson, Koan Class Tribute.